Friday, July 8, 2011

On my Nightstand

Currently, I'm in the middle of several books . . . I justify it since they're all so different:

The Namesake, Jhumpa Lahiri

I'd been meaning to read this one for a while (ever since I saw the author speak at San Francisco's City Arts & Lectures a few years ago).  I'm thoroughly enjoying it, despite having interrupted it upon the arrival of my next book in the mail:

Hell's Angel, Sonny Barger

By now you all know why I'm reading this.  Love it.  Wanna know everything about MC culture.  I also ordered a book about a federal agent who infiltrated the infamous Mongrols MC, so I'll let you know about that one when I'm done, too. ;)  I know you're all chomping at the bit.

the new black, Evie Shockley

I stumbled upon this new book of poems on a trip to City Lights, and I LOVE IT.  She uses a lot of traditional form (even a ghazal!) but modernizes them into a collection of poems about gender, race, identity, history, etc.  Evie Shockley might be my new fave.

Next up is this:

First they Killed my Father, Loung Ung

Kristin sent me this (along with two others!) for the book swap, and I can't wait to read it.  It's obviously going to be really intense, but I can balance it out with:

Something Blue, Emily Giffin

Novels the color of Easter eggs = guilty pleasure.

I know it's Friday, but I couldn't resist linking up with Meghan since her Top Five Thursday topic was books, so here it is a day late!

No comments:

Post a Comment